Healthy snacks // Sweet As Mae

September 14, 2015

Hey guys :) This week I wanted to post about a few healthy snacks that I have been loving recently. I find that in Winter/Spring it's more difficult to find healthy snacks that aren't cold or Summer themed, and  I am more likely to come home and have a warm hot chocolate or microwave noodles to fill my appetite. After searching around google and reading some bog posts, I was able to find some healthier snacks that are perfect for cool days. These snacks are low in calories and sugar but still satisfy a sweet tooth and fill you up!
These snacks are PERFECT if you feel a sugar temptation coming on, and they are all relatively quick and easy to make, so you have no excuse not to try these! I posted about why I am experimenting with healthy snacks and healthy eating in my last post, and you can read about that here


1. Microwave Berrylicious Muffin
I have seen so many amazing microwave muffins recipes but this one looked so quick and easy while still being super nutritious AND delicious I had to give it a go. I found this recipe at http://www.blogilates.com/blog/2011/07/11/berrylicious-microwave-minute-muffin/ , but I added my own touches to suit it to my personal preferences :) All you have to do is firstly combine one quarter cup of oats and one egg in mug. Next add any type of sweetener or brown sugar (I added about 1/2 a teaspoon of brown sugar), and some berries of your choice. In my case I had mixed berries so I used blueberries, strawberries and a few blackberries to my mug muffin. If you like a moist muffin (like myself) simply add a tablespoon of plain soymilk or almond milk. Pop your muffin in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, checking it every 30 seconds. Decorate with some extra berries and enjoy! This muffin is so yummy and easy to make, perfect for pre or post workout.


2. Cinnamon Sugar Toast
This one doesn't have a specific recipe, it's really just give it a go andsee how you like it! I have seen versions of this everywhere but this one is my own. All I did was pop one piece of wholegrain bread into the toaster and toast it until crispy. Next I spread my toast with low-fat margarine before sprinkling some ground cinnamon on top. To finish I added 1/4 of a teaspoon of plain brown sugar. I love this idea, it's perfect for a cosy Winter afternoon and it tastes great! The brown sugar satisfies your sweet tooth but by using margarine instead of butter and wholegrain bread instead of white, this is a healthier alternative for snackers!

3. Trail Mix
I absolutely love trail mix, and much like the cinnamon sugar toast there is not any certain method of doing this. I like to mix up peanuts, almonds, raisins and a few dark chocolate drops to give my body a quick energy boost. Using very dark chocolate is a much better alternative than using milk chocolate or white. This is because dark chocolate contains less carbohydrates and contains much more iron and fiber than milk chocolate or white chocolate. This combined with energy boosting nuts equals a filling, healthy snack.

4. Banana Chips 
Super easy and super delicious, baked banana chips are a yummy but guilt-free snack. Just slice up a few bananas, dip them in lemon juice, spray a lined baking tray with non-stick spray and pop them in the oven until golden. I like to spread mine with a little honey to sweeten them up, but there are tons of other combos you could try!





Please tell me if you try any of these snacks out and any other healthy Winter snacks you know of! Stay sweet, Mae <3

P.S I would like to apologise if you see my blog design changing and looking a bit weird - I am currently trying to re design it myself and that is a bit hard for a blogging beginner! Be sure to check out my new navigation bar where you can contact me, learn a bit about me or look at my posts by category :)




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe