How To: Chocolate Orange Cupcakes // Sweet As Mae

November 09, 2015


Hey guys! This week I thought I would post a bit of a recipe for you, because I absolutely love baking but I don't really post recipes. That and the fact that my blog says "Beauty. Lifestyle. Food". So I kinda needed some more recipes haha! The recipe I'm going to show you today is for Chocolate Orange Cupcakes with chocolate .
I don't know about you but I love a good Terry's Chocolate Orange, or any chocolate orange for that matter so when I saw this recipe I knew I had to give it a go. This is not my own recipe, it's one I found and altered. I couldn't find the recipe online but it's from a book called: Easy Cupcakes Recipes.
So lets start!


For these yummy cupcakes you will need . . .

115g Softened Butter
115g Caster Sugar
Finely Grated Rind and Juice of 1 Orange
2 Eggs
115g Self-Raising Flour
25g Grated Dark Chocolate 

Tip: You can vary the amount of chocolate and orange in the recipe to suit your preference. The original recipe said 1/2 an orange, but I wanted mine to have a stronger orange flavour so I used a whole orange. I also increased the chocolate measurement by 5g :)

For the chocolate ganache-style icing you will need . . .

115g Dark Chocolate Broken Into Pieces 
25g Butter
1 Tbsp Golden Syrup 
Candied Orange Peel to decorate

Method

Preheat oven to 175°C (Depending on how strong your oven is). 

Put 12 paper cases into a muffin tray and put aside.

Put the butter, sugar and orange rind into a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.


Gradually add the two eggs and continue to beat the mixture.

Sift in the flour and carefully fold it into the mixture using a wooden spoon.

Fold in the orange juice and grated chocolate.

Spoon the mixture into the paper cases about 3/4 full, but this may vary on how big or small you want your cupcakes.


Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until they are well-risen and a golden brown colour. You can test whether they are cooked or not using a skewer.

Once cooked, transfer the cupcakes onto a wire rack to cool.

To make the ganache-style icing, break the chocolate into a heat-proof bowl and add the butter and the golden syrup. 

Place the bowl over a saucepan with simmering water and heat the chocolate, butter and golden syrup until they are melted.


Remove the bowl from the saucepan and gently stir.

Cool the icing until it is a spreadable consistency. 

Spread the icing over the cupcakes. You could get creative with a piping bag and a star nozzle, but I liked these cupcakes simple and rustic, so don't worry if the icing doesn't look perfect!

Decorate with a few strips of candied orange peel. For mine I used mixed peel which had oranges, nectarines and other fruits, but it still gave the fruity flavour. 

So there you go! These cupcakes are absolutely delicious and I thought they looked really cute! The icing is absolutely amazing so try to refrain from eating it all . . .but of course I had to lick the spoon. Make sure to send me a photo or comment below if you try this recipe, it's really unique flavour because I never thought of chocolate oranges in cupcake form! Comment below if you want more recipes too :) 

What's your favourite cupcake recipe?


Stay Sweet,

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe