The Berry Benefit

August 24, 2016



Hello Sweeties! I was looking through my recent blog posts and realised I haven't done a food themed post in yonks (see my last food post here), and although it's not one of my top blog topics I still enjoy the odd food related post. So today I'm going to have a little chat with you guys about the Berry Benefit - or Benefits, I should say!






THEY TAME SUGAR CRAVINGS

I'm a bit of a sugar addict. It's 100% my food weakness - if there's a cream doughnut oozing jam, I'll be sure to choose that over a bean. Berries are great for decreasing my sugar cravings. They're small and sweet and give that perfect little sugar rush; except this sugar rush is filled with vitamins and antioxidants! I eat berries in many different ways all year round, whether it's a smoothie or berry bowl. One of my biggest tips would be to buy frozen berries. Not only are they cheaper than fresh berries, but they taste just as good in my opinion. I love putting a handful in a small container and refrigerating them for 4-6 hours to defrost. Once defrosted, I pair them with some low fat, low sugar vanilla yoghurt (buy my favourite one here), oats, cinnamon and a few drops of honey or maple syrup. I might add another fruit too. For today's fruit bowl I combined the berry benefits with banana benefits; but that's another post! I find this bowl super filling and prevents me from snacking on the nearest cookie or fatty snack.



THEY ARE GREAT FOR YOUR SKIN

Berries provide multiple skin benefits. Blueberries and strawberries in particular are great for leaving your skin clear and glowing. Blueberries are packed with antioxidants that are superb at reducing inflammation, thus reducing acne and pimples. Blueberries calm acne and pimples in a natural way by decreasing pro-inflammatory chemicals in your system and increasing anti-inflammatory chemicals. Blueberries are a great natural way to help clear acne instead of piling on man-made chemicals. Strawberries are another berry full of skin benefits. Strawberries contain 160% of RDV (Recommended Daily Value) of Vitamin C, an antioxidant known for giving you radiant skin. If you want that healthy glow, Vitamin C rich berries are the way to go!



THEY CONTRIBUTE TO WEIGHT LOSS

One major factor contributing to weight gain is over-eating, so foods that will fill you up are great to prevent this. Berries contain a high water and fiber content, two things that give your body a sense of "fullness". Filling snacks are key to avoid food temptations. Different berries have different water content and fiber, but they're all good for you; so I like to buy my frozen berries in a mixed pack that includes blueberries, strawberries and blackberries. 

What's your favourite berry?


Stay Sweet,
post signature

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe